Friday, November 21, 2014

Week 10 + 11

If f is in big O of g, it means that g is an upper bound of the function f. In Week 10 we were introduced to big Omega, which means that if f is in big Omega of g, then g is a lower bound of the function f, and big theta, which means if f is in big theta of g, then g is a upper and lower bound of the function f. Proving that f is or is not in big theta/omega of g is really similar to proving big omega of something, so it was all quite straight forward. Proving things using limits and l'Hopital's rule is also really straight forward to me.

This week (week 11), we started a new topic - halting problem and computability.During lectures, I had no idea what the professor was saying and found the content extremely difficult to follow. I had to do a lot of studying myself after lectures to understand it, but I think I get it now. I've looked at some past CSC165 final exam papers and it seems that reduction is tested a lot. At the moment, I feel like I only barely grasped the concept, and so I will be trying to find more questions to do and practice until I feel more confident about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment